Not only do these slow down the negative effects of osteoporosis, these contain large amounts of amino acid L-ergothioneine and have antioxidants that slow down early aging.
User friendly recipe: skillet gnocchi w/ pioppino mushrooms by giovanni rana
- 10 ounces of Pioppini Mushrooms, Sliced
- 12-ounces Gnocchi
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 8 ounces of Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 Onion, Minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Shavings
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Clean the fresh pioppini, cut a thin slice off the bottom of each stem, rinse in cool water to remove any dirt, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the chopped onion for a few minutes. Add the pioppini mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- In the meantime, in a large pan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the gnocchi and sauté for 5 minutes, then pour them into the pan with the mushrooms, stirring frequently. Serve the gnocchi on a plate, adding a few leaves of baby spinach and Parmigiano Reggiano shavings.
CHEFFIN’ IT UP RECIPE: pioppino ragu by the food network
- 1-pound Pioppino Mushrooms, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 5 Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Flat-Leaf Italian Parsley, Chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. When the oil is almost smoking, go ahead and add the onion and garlic.
- Continue heating over a medium-low flame until the veggies have just about wilted.
- Then add the mushrooms as well as salt and pepper.
- Raise the heat to high and saute until the pioppinos are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the Marsala wine. Now you can return the pan to the stove and allow the wine to evaporate, which will take about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer for a half-hour until the sauce has reduced by half. Then add the heavy cream and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the basil leaves and Italian parsley. Mix thoroughly.